Monday 13 June 2011

APPLICATIONS OF IPHONE 4 WHITE

 
                                           

The back of the phone has a silver mirrored Apple on the back.  It also has the back camera and flash.  This camera takes 5MP still pictures or 720p HD video at up to 30 frames/sec with audio.  The back camera has digital zoom, but I found it makes the pictures blurry.  It shares a wonderful feature with the back camera on the iPad 2.  When taking still pictures, simply tap an area on the screen to have the camera focus on that area and adjust the exposure based on the lighting in that area.  The built-in flash, which the iPad 2 lacks, improves pictures taken in low lighting.

The iPhone 4′s back camera is also capable of taking HDR (high dynamic range) photos.  HDR imaging is a means of better representing the differences between the darker and lighter areas.  To create the HDR photo, the camera merges three exposures into a final image:  a standard exposure, one under-exposure, and one over-exposure.  In HDR mode, the camera saves two photos; one is the image as taken with standard exposure, and the other is the HDR image.  I have included two images that illustrate this.  The first photo shows the image taken by the camera in the automatic mode; the second is the HDR image taken at the same time.  Notice how much brighter the HDR image is and how much more detail you can see when compared to the standard image.

Of course, the iPhone 4 has Apple’s touted Retina Display.  I had never seen this display until I got my iPhone 4.  I said in the iPad 2 review that I didn’t care that the iPad 2 didn’t have Retina Display.  Foolish me!  The iPhone 4 screen is so incredibly sharp and clear that you have to see it yourself to appreciate it.  I cannot see the slightest hint of a pixel on that screen no matter how closely I look.  My aging eyes can read even the tiniest font in iBooks.  I can even see details and read words on the almost-microscopic icons that are in folders on the Home screen!  I picked up my iPad 2 after spending time playing with my iPhone 4, and I had a 2001: A Space Odyssey reaction:  “my god, it’s full of pixels!”  The iPad 2’s screen is a big letdown after seeing the Retina Display.

I don’t know how well you’ll be able to see it, but I’ve enclosed screen captures from the Emerald Chronometer app (an iPhone app) from my iPhone and my iPad 2.  I hope you’ll be able to see how much sharper the iPhone 4 image is.  The iPhone 4 capture hasn’t been edited; the iPad 2 was only cropped to removed most of the surrounding black screen area.

I still don’t want to put music on my phone, so my 16GB iPhone 4 has plenty of room for my apps.  I was able to easily set up the mail program with my Gmail account.  The calendar and contacts are synced with another Gmail account shared with my husband to keep the family calendar.  I haven’t had any problems using any apps.

The sound from the little speakers is clear.  It’s loud enough to make watching videos without earphones possible, and the speakers work well when using the iPhone 4 as a speakerphone.  I have found that some included ringtones aren’t loud enough for me to hear my phone in its case inside my purse.  That was just an excuse for me to make myself a couple of loud ringtones from songs, but it is something to be aware of when setting up your phone.

But this is a phone, so what about call quality?  I’ve always found that Verizon service is very reliable.  We very seldom have a dropped call, and I usually have strong signals in our area.  My calls often sounded a little muffled or static-y, though.  Since we got rid of our landline and use only our cell phones, I finally noticed I had a LOT of problems with delays during calls.  This resulted in one of us talking over the other during a call.  I found this very irritating; I hated looking so rude when I wasn’t trying to be.  I was almost to the point where I wanted to say “over” when I was through talking and ready to listen.  I don’t have this problem at all with the iPhone 4.  Calls are clear – no static, no muffling.  I don’t have the sound delay, either, so I’m not talking over everybody any more.  Obviously my old phone caused those problems.  I’m very pleased with call quality with the iPhone 4.

I tend to get about 3 days on a charge.  Most of the time, I’m connected to my home’s WiFi network, and I have location services on, Bluetooth off.  I have my screen set at a little below the middle of the brightness scale.  I’ve checked emails, surfed only a little, and played some Bejeweled.  However, I haven’t had one of my marathon calls with my friend Leah, yet.  I’m sure the battery will drain much more quickly during one of our standard 3-hour calls.  (Update:  I had a 4 hour, 3 minute call with Leah on a freshly charged iPhone with 100% charge.  After the call, I had a 39% charge left.)

Not being able to surf while talking is considered by many to be a big strike against the CDMA Verizon phone.  However, it IS possible to surf and talk simultaneously – under certain circumstances.  I have been able to successfully surf and talk on a call when I am connected to the internet via WiFi.  It works like a charm!   You still can’t do both when you connect to the internet via 3G, though.  This limitation isn’t a deal-breaker for me;  I’ve been a happy Verizon customer for many years and don’t want to change providers for this one thing.
                                  
Calls are clear, and I haven’t had a single dropped call since I got the iPhone 4 – not that I had many before, though.  The Retina Display is fabulous for tired, old eyes.  Apps run well, and I’ve been able to easily sync the calendar, contacts, and mail programs with my Gmail accounts.  I’m a happy camper!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management